Inaugural Illuminate concert series announced11:58, 2nd March 2018
The Illuminate 2018 concert series, which promotes music by women, will launch in London on 8 March.
The concert series will then visit Oxford, Stafford, Birmingham, Cardiff, Brighton, Oxford, Liverpool and Nottingham before then returning to London.
The concerts will feature works by Morfydd Owen (1891-1918), Lili Boulanger (1893-1918), Amy Beach (1867- 1944), Grazyna Bacewicz (1909-1969), Louise Marie Simon (aka Claude Arrieu) (1903-1990), and Clara Schumann (1819-1896), as well as new works by Angela Elizabeth Slater, Gemma McGregor, Blair Boyd, Sarah Westwood and Carol Jones.
These contemporary women composers have written several pieces for performers Késia Decoté (piano), Cassie Matthews (Classical guitar), Sabina Virtosu (violin) and Gemma McGregor (shakuhachi and flute).
The first five concerts of the series are as follows:
- London – 8 March 6.30pm at Goldsmiths, University of London
- Oxford – 9 March 7.30pm at St Michael’s near Northgate
- Stafford- 10 March 11am at St Mary’s Church
- Birmingham – 10 March at 7.30pm at St George’s in Edgebaston
- Cardiff – 11 March at 2pm at University of Cardiff Concert Hall