- Guildhall funds research into Noriko Ogawa autism concerts
The Guildhall School of Music and Drama has commissioned a research project into how attending concerts can help the parents and carers of children with autism.
- Teaching rooms for hire at Sax.co.uk's central London shop
Musical instrument retailer Sax.co.uk is hiring out practice and teaching rooms for £5 per hour at its new shop in central London.
- 'Regulation needed' to stop abuse following Philip Pickett case
An external regulatory body is needed to prevent further cases of sexual abuse in the UK’s conservatoires, according to a lecturer at one of London’s top universities.
- Petition launched to save Wiltshire Music Service
A petition calling for Wiltshire County Council to reverse its decision to withdraw funding to Wiltshire Music Service has attracted more than 1,700 signatures in less than 24 hours.
- Arts education debated in BBC panel show
The importance of education in the battle against elitism in the arts was among the issues debated during the BBC’s Arts Question Time programme on Sunday.
Contents for Music Teacher
- Music Tracks: Individual assessment in a small group setting
- MT meets National Foundation for Youth Music's executive director Matt Griffiths
- Notes from St Teresa’s Catholic Primary School in Basildon, one of the featured schools in Channel 4’s Don’t Stop the Music, featuring pianist James Rhodes
Simultaneous learning: Paul Harris explains the importance of strategic approach
- The rock, pop and jazz issue
School of rock
Assessment is an integral part of teaching but when it comes to the plethora of non-classical exams on the market it’s tough to know where to start. MT’s resident guitar expert Al Summers offers an overview
The Glee Effect
The rise of reality TV singing competitions and that US comedy-drama series has placed renewed pressure on vocal teaching. Jeremy Fisher offers some sage advice
Got that Swing?
Pro-musicians and ABRSM examiners Mark Armstrong and Alexander L’Estrange share some engaging tips for teaching jazz. Be prepared to sing!