Winners announced of inaugural Music Teacher Awards for Excellence
21 March 2013
On 20 March 2013 the winners were announced of the inaugural Music Teacher Awards for Excellence. The awards were created by Rhinegold Publishing and Music Teacher magazine to celebrate excellence in the UK’s music education sector and to recognise the projects, organisations and products that are contributing the most to the development of music education in the UK.
The awards ceremony and gala evening was sponsored by Classic FM and Yamaha, presented by Classic FM presenter Margherita Taylor, and attended by 180 guests from across the music education sector.
The Music Teacher Awards for Excellence were held on the first night of Music Education Expo, the UK’s largest exhibition for music educators. The event is being held on 20 and 21 March 2013 at London’s Barbican Centre, and has over 120 exhibitors and 3,700 pre-registered visitors.
The winners were selected from a pre-announced shortlist by an experienced panel of music educators, chaired by Christopher Walters, editor of Music Teacher.
- Best musical initiative: Young Pianist of the North International Competition
- Best vocal initiative: Gloucestershire County Youth Choir
- Best print resource: How to Create a Successful Music Ensemble
- Best digital/technological resource: JamPod
- Best school music department: King’s School, Grantham
- Hub innovation award: Portsmouth Music Hub
- Lifetime achievement award: Peter Dunkley
- Music Teacher magazine editor’s award: David Idowu Choir
- Best classical music education project: National Children’s Orchestras of Great Britain
The award winners will be featured in the May issue of Music Teacher, due out on 24 April, and available digitally from www.pocketmags.com or in print from http://rhinegold.subscribeonline.co.uk