Read all the latest news or see individual stories by clicking the links below.
- Opera Holland Park announces independenceOpera Holland Park (OHP) has formally become an independent charity. The change in status comes after nearly 20 years as a department of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
- WNO announces new music directorCzech conductor Tomáš Hanus will take up the position in autumn 2016.
- San Francisco Opera announces next general director
Matthew Shilvock will succeed David Gockley as general director on 1 August 2016.
- ENO formalises Brünjes’ and Pollock’s positionsEnglish National Opera has appointed Harry Brünjes as chairman and Cressida Pollock as chief executive officer, effective immediately.
- Paris Opera strike continues
A message posted on the website of the Opéra de Paris confirmed that tonight's performance of Rameau's Platée will not be going ahead. The cancellation is due to a strike called by the FSU trade union.
Contents for Opera Now
Luciano Pavarotti (Photo: © Decca)
- Facing the music
Royal Opera House music director Sir Antonio Pappano explains why directors should be encouraged to take risks and grapple with subtexts in opera
- Egyptian glories
Yehuda Shapiro reports from the sessions for Warner Classics' new recording of Aida
- Life with my voice
Soprano Magdalena Anna Hofmann takes stock of her success as she prepares for a season packed with Wagner, Dvořák and Reznicek
- Critical thinking
Drama and virtuosity in the operas of Giuseppe Verdi
Michael White considers some productions that stretch the definition of opera to its breaking point