Stuttgart State Opera appoints new Music Director
15 April 2010
Sylvain Cambreling(Photo: Marco Borggreve)
French-born conductor Sylvain Cambreling has been appointed as the new Music Director of Stuttgart State Opera by the company's artistic director designate, Jossi Wieler.
Wieler has invited Cambreling to conduct one production during the 2011/12 Season then take over as Music Director in 2012/13.
Wieler himself is due to join the company in 2011, succeeding Manfred Honeck.
Cambreling previously held the post of Music Director at La Monnaie in Brussels from 1981-1991 followed by four years at the helm of Frankfurt Opera in the 1990s. Although he has since conducted extensively at the Opéra National de Paris, this will be his first major appointment with an opera house since leaving Frankfurt.
Speaking to Opera Now, Cambreling explained that “After I left Frankfurt in 1997 I decided I would never take on an opera house again – it was too much work. But that was as general artistic director, and being a Music Director is very different. I love theatre music and even when I am busy conducting other repertoire I am first and foremost an opera conductor. So I am very excited to be trying again.”
Whilst it is too early to be talking about specific productions that he is planning with Wieler, Cambreling is candid about his desire “to work as a team” and develop close collaborative relationships with his new colleagues in Stuttgart.
Earlier this month, Cambreling was also appointed as the principal conductor of Tokyo’s Yomiuri Nippon Symphony Orchestra. He has been Chief Conductor of the SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg since 1999.
News round-up - 14 April 2010
14 April 2010
James Levine(Photo: Steven Senne / AP)
The Golden Room, Teatro Colón
JAMES LEVINE WITHDRAWS FROM METROPOLITAN OPERA SEASON
Music director to undergo surgery on his lower back
Metropolitan Opera music director James Levine has withdrawn from his remaining performances with the company this season to undergo surgery on his lower back. A total of seven performances due to be conducted by Levine – three of Berg’s Lulu and four or Puccini’s Tosca – will now be conducted by Fabio Luisi. Levine’s scheduled performances with the Boston Symphony Orchestra have also been affected.
TEATRO COLON BUENOS AIRES TO REOPEN NEXT MONTH
City's mayor confirms date – 24 May 2010
South America’s most famous opera house will reopen on 24 May following renovations lasting more than four years, says city mayor Mauricio Macri. The spectacular 2,478-seat Teatro Colón (Columbus Theatre) in Buenos Aires was supposed to be ready for its centenary in May 2008 but will now reopen on the eve of Argentina’s independence bicentennial.
DOMINGO RETURNS TO THE STAGE
69-year-old tenor to sing Simon Boccanegra in Milan on Friday
Plácido Domingo will return to the stage on Friday this week with the first of six performances in the title role of Verdi’s Simon Boccanegra at La Scala in Milan. The 69-year-old tenor has spent the past month recovering from cancer surgery. He told the BBC that "The joy at returning to Milan is immense."
- The official authorised website of Plácido Domingo
- Plácido Domingo recovering after surgery for cancer
ENO AND PUNCHDRUNK TO CO-PRODUCE SITE SPECIFIC OPERA
Torsten Rasch’s The Duchess of Malfi
English National Opera has teamed up with the British experimental theatre company, Punchdrunk, to co-produce a new opera by German composer Torsten Rasch. Based on John Webster’s Jacobean drama The Duchess of Malfi, the site-specific production will be performed in a vacant office block at Great Eastern Quay in London's Royal Albert Basin. A total of 13 performances have been scheduled, beginning on 13 July.
THE MET’S GRAND GAMBLE
Metropolitan Opera general manager Peter Gelb speaks to Vanity Fair
In this month’s Vanity Fair, Metropolitan Opera general manager Peter Gelb speaks to Contributing Editor, Nina Munk: “Examining the Met’s $47 million deficit, the horrendous economics of opera, and the effort to sell high culture to the masses, the author reveals what a huge risk the controversial impresario is taking.”
SCOTTISH TENOR KENNETH MCKELLAR DIES AGED 82
Kenneth McKellar, who died on 9 April aged 82, was a lyric tenor once described by Adrian Boult as “the best Handel singer of the 20th century”. He was invited by Benjamin Britten to sing the role of McHeath in a production of The Beggar’s Opera in 1965, but subsequently abandoned the operatic stage to focus on building a repertory of Scottish and popular songs.
Jazz opera for London schools endorsed by Olympic Games
13 April 2010
Julian Joseph with pupils from Hackney's Kingsmead Primary School
Shadowball, a pioneering jazz opera for school children in the London Borough of Hackney, has been awarded an 'Inspire Mark' by the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.
The 'Inspire Mark' is bestowed on outstanding projects that contribute to the 2012 Games' lasting legacy and the Cultural Olympiad.
Created by jazz musicians Julian Joseph and Mike Phillips for the Hackney Music Development Trust (HMDT), Shadowball tells the story of the struggles, triumphs and challenges facing black athletes in the USA during their sixty year exclusion from Major League Baseball.
Alongside baseball, the opera also charts the development of jazz during the time of segregation when, against heavy odds, black athletes and jazz musicians were using sport and music to reach their dreams and inspire others.
"Shadowball is a story of triumph in the face of adversity”, says Joseph. “It demonstrates the greatness of a people denied their civil liberties. How do you thrive in an unjust system? Baseball and jazz. Reflect on it and it makes a mockery of that system and did so at the time. The truth is that we must learn these lessons and all of us embrace and own this history in its glory and its horror."
Two performances of Shadowball involving jazz vocalist Cleveland Watkiss, Julian Joseph and 120 Hackney school children will take place on 29 and 30 June at London's Mermaid Theatre. Leading up to these performances, the project’s extensive education programme will include music workshops with Julian Joseph and baseball training in more than 20 Hackney schools.
News round-up - 9 April 2010
9 April 2010
Daniel Barenboim(Photo: Sheila Rock)
Hans Werner Henze(Photo: Schott / Peter Andersen)
Graham Johnson and Steuart Bedford remember Philip Langridge
8 April 2010
Philip Langridge as Aschenbach in the Opera Australia 2005 production of 'Death in Venice'(Photo: Branco Gaica)
Philip Langridge as Marquis in Berg's 'Lulu' at the Royal Opera(Photo: Clive Barda)
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98