Saxophonist Jess Gillam will give the world premiere of Stravaganza, a new work by Sir Karl Jenkins
BBC NOW announces 2019/20 season2:59, 16th May 2019
BBC National Orchestra & Chorus of Wales (BBC NOW) has today announced its 2019/20 season, featuring orchestral and choral masterworks and rediscovered gems alongside contemporary music and exploratory new concert formats.
- Classical Playlist: Live, an immersive performance experience offering a new way to experience classical music in collaboration with Swansea City Council
- A new strand of concerts, CoLaboratory, exploring surprising and experimental collaborations, fusing the musical worlds of American rap artist Dessa and Australia’s leading digeridoo player William Barton with BBC NOW
- A celebration of Beethoven’s most iconic works in 2020, the year that marks 250 years since his birth, with Cardiff’s music community
- Jess Gillam gives the world premiere of Stravaganza, a new work for saxophone and orchestra by Sir Karl Jenkins
- Award-winning Welsh folk band Calan join BBC NOW to celebrate St David’s Day
- The orchestra joins the BBC Youth Ensemble for a special Late Night Prom curated by composer and lead guitarist of Radiohead, Jonny Greenwood, featuring the world premiere of his new electronic-inspired work Horror vacui
Michael Garvey, director of BBC National Orchestra and Chorus of Wales, said: ‘From the massed forces of Verdi’s mighty Requiem to our development of the traditional concert format in Classical Playlist Live – we hope everyone will find something to enjoy in our 2019/20 season. It’s a season that showcases the orchestra’s breadth, with an incredible line-up of artists alongside our ambition to make classical music accessible to all audiences through innovative concerts and imaginative learning work. We look forward to presenting our new season to our audiences here in Wales and further afield.’
Season tickets on sale 28 May 2019. Individual tickets on sale from 25 June 2019.
For further information visit www.bbc.co.uk/bbcnow.