Chineke! launches 2019/20 season2:21, 10th October 2019
Chineke! launches its 2019/20 season this month, marking its fourth year with a series of concerts across the UK, Europe and the USA.
- Spotlight on the ‘forgotten’ music of composer Samuel Coleridge-Taylor in three concerts as Associate Orchestra at Southbank Centre
- Chineke! Orchestra’s first major European tour begins in November with concerts in Bruges, Amsterdam, Cologne, Antwerp and Aachen, and its first USA tour in April 2020 with concerts in Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington DC, Ann Arbor, Worcester MA and Ottawa, Canada
- Chineke! Junior Orchestra performs at Croydon’s Fairfield Halls as part of the Croydon Youth Arts Takeover, while local schoolchildren present original dance pieces in response to the music
- New relationship with Fairfield Halls as ‘Orchestra in Partnership’ sees Chineke! Orchestra perform alongside the venue’s official Resident Orchestras – London Mozart Players and Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
- Chineke! Foundation becomes Resident Orchestra at Woolwich Works, where it will base its administrative headquarters with use of rehearsal spaces and training and education facilities
- Chineke! Chamber Ensemble expands its concert schedule with performances across England including dates in Oxford, Leicester and at the Theatre Royal Stratford East
‘As Europe’s first majority Black & Minority Ethnic orchestra, our European tour feels like an important moment to reinforce the ties of friendship with our EU neighbors,’ comments Chineke! Foundation founder and director Chi-chi Nwanoku. ‘Music can be a powerful tool for diplomacy, reminding us of our shared interests and Chineke! embodies the idea of unity in diversity.’
For further information and full listings visit www.chineke.org.